The Jefferson Spey Sessions on the Smith are designed to target sink-tip and winter steelhead spey casting fundamentals, both for those who are developing new skills (no spey casting experience required) and those who want to evolve what they already know.
Your hosts, Whitney, Jason and Rich, share a passion that is unmatched for teaching, spey, steelhead and watching their students grow. Experience a day with each of them and you’ll emerge from the Jefferson Winter Spey Sessions a spey caster and more seasoned angler. You'll gain confidence in the swung fly for winter steelhead, wherever they may take you.
You'll spend three days floating the Smith River in one of the wildest corners in California. The Smith is host to some big, broad, classic, bouldery runs and glassy tail-outs perfect for chasing some of the biggest winter steelhead in California. These fresh run winter steelhead are beginning to show this time of year and what better opportunity to test new skills and become a better winter steelhead angler.
You'll stay three nights on the banks of the South Fork Smith River at Rock Creek Ranch.
Rock Creek Ranch has been run by Smith River Alliance since 2002. The main house at Rock Creek Ranch has three bedrooms and two baths. The large living room, the gathering place, comfortably accommodates our group in a casual atmosphere and is heated by a wood-burning stove.
The Jefferson Spey Sessions are limited to six anglers to ensure quality one on one instruction.
December 2-4, 2016
- Smith River
- Rock Creek Ranch, Hiouchi, CA
- Includes three nights of lodging, all meals while you're there, and guiding/instruction
At the Jefferson Spey Sessions, you'll learn
- How to execute all key Skagit casts, both river right and left
- What equipment works best for you and the rivers you fish
- How to swing flies through different water types
- How to choose the right fly for different river conditions
- How to read steelhead holding water, and more
What to bring
- 2016 California fishing license and steelhead report card
- waders, boots, warm layering and rain jacket
- personal fishing gear (we will have rods/reels/lines for use as well)
To reserve a spot or for more info, contact:
- Jason Hartwick, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rich Zellman, email@example.com
Hope to see you there!